Most Comfortable Couch Reviews
If you have decided it’s time to buy a new couch you may be surprised by all of the choices you have available. It is easy to become overwhelmed and not know which style or brand to choose. Many times, consumers will purchase a couch that is the wrong size or style and then feel stuck with their wrong choice.
Purchasing an important piece of furniture like a couch can be considered an investment because, when taken care of and when you research and choose a quality couch, you could have it for decades.
This guide is filled with information that will help make the couch buying process enjoyable and as stress-free as possible. We have provided you with the top ten popular couches on the market along with detailed reviews of the five best of the best.
In addition to this, we have added a helpful buying guide that will give you all the knowledge you need to sort through the large number of couch choices and decide on the one that will complete the look you want while being comfortable, affordable, and long lasting.
Couches can be expensive so you want to make sure that the one you decide to spend your money on is a quality couch that will be durable, comfortable, look great and last a while. This guide will help you accomplish your goal.
Top 10 Most Comfortable Couch
|Rate||Pictures||Most Comfortable Couch||Fabric||Colors|
|1.||100% Poly-Ester||Chestnut Brown,
|2.||100% Poly-Ester||Brindle Bronze,
|3.||Linen||6 Color Choices|
|4.||Poly-Ester Micro-Fiber||9 Color Choices|
/ Faux Leather (Body)
|3 Color Choices|
|8.||Poly-Ester Nylon||Slate Fawn|
|9.||Poly-Ester Fiber||Pebble Shell|
Summary of Our Top Picks
Believe it or not, for many people, purchasing a new couch is a lot like purchasing a car. There are a large number of options, brands, styles, materials, and features that different couches can have just like with a car. Trying to understand what all of the furniture jargon means can be really aggravating and cause you to just pick any couch to get the process over with.
The five detailed reviews we have included above are of the top rated, most popular couches on the market. Consumers love these pieces because of their quality, style, comfort factor, and ease of set up as well. They are also great if you are looking for a couch for a smaller space.
The buying guide below will give you much more information on how to choose the perfect couch for your needs.
Most Comfortable Couch Buying Guide
Before you start spending your hard-earned money there are some things you want to consider so you find the right couch for your specific lifestyle, décor, and needs.
- What type of couch do you want? – There are hundreds of different styles, shapes, and sizes of couches available to choose from. It is going to be much easier to find one you will be sincerely happy with if you take a few minutes to think about what you really want. Think about the size you are interested in, the colors or patterns you may prefer, and the price point you are looking for as well. This information will give you a starting point in your research.
- How many people do you want to seat? – If you are looking for a couch for your college-aged child’s room or you want to have some extra seating in the den you may choose a couch that is smaller than the one you would choose if you wanted to provide regular seating for a large family. Most people do not like to be squished in next to others on a couch that is too small for the number of people sitting there. If you have a large family or you entertain a lot, you will want to consider getting a much larger couch or sectional.
- Who is sitting on the couch? – If the majority of the people who will be sitting on the couch are children you will want to purchase one that is durable, stain-resistant, and easy to clean. You also want to consider darker fabric that shows dirt and stains less. If you are furnishing an office or other room where children will not be using it, then you can opt for a more stylish, elegant couch without fear it will get ruined.
- How much space do you have? – This is probably THE most important consideration. You need to know where you will be putting your couch and measure that area before you start shopping. Many people have purchased a couch only to find out it was too large for the space, too small and looked funny or otherwise didn’t fit the space in some way. Look at the room you will be putting your new couch in and measure that space so you won’t get the couch and find out it doesn’t fit at all.
Types of Couches
There are three basic types of couches on the market. Even with all of the styles available, they will fall into one of these three types.
- Static – a static couch is one that has a solid frame that doesn’t move (recline) in any way.
- Sleeper – this type of couch converts to a bed for additional sleeping space for guests or family staying over. This is a popular style for studio apartments and dorm rooms.
- Motion – A motion couch is one that has one or more spots that can be reclined.
Common Couch Frame Materials
The frame of your couch will determine how sturdy and long lasting it will be. There are several different types of materials that are used for a couch’s frame.
- Particle Board – This material is the least expensive and also the lightest and most fragile when it comes to frames. It is made from composite wood materials and can break down fairly easily, especially when used a lot. If you are looking for a couch that will last, you don’t want to purchase one with a particle board frame.
- Hardwood – The cost on a couch made with a hardwood frame is going to be higher but you will get a couch that will last. Hardwoods that are commonly used for making couches include cherry, oak, walnut, and other hardwoods. They are very durable and will stand up to frequent use. Solid wood frames are also more attractive and look great in dens, living rooms, and offices.
- Metal – Metal is the hardest material you can find for a couch frame but the problem with metal frames is that they can be bent over time. Most will not snap unless they are truly cheap but keep in mind that if the couch is used a lot by a lot of people the frame could develop a bend that will affect the comfort.
- Kiln Dried Hardwood – The difference between hardwood couch frames and kiln dried hardwood frames is the process in which they are finished. Kiln dried hardwood has been dried in a big oven that makes the wood a lot stronger and more durable. You may notice there is an increase in the price as well. Kiln dried frames are less likely to warp or break.
Types of Couch Assembly
There are two types of assembly used when putting together the frame for a wood framed couch.
- Stapled – This is the most inexpensive way to assemble a frame but it is not going to be as durable as the other method of double doweled assembly. Stapled frames are put together with heavy duty staples that hold the pieces of the frame together much like a picture frame is held together. This is a lot less durable and long lasting than double doweled assembly as well. If you are investing a lot of money into a new couch and you want it to last a long time, do not go with a stapled frame couch.
- Double-Doweled – This is a very strong, durable, and long lasting way to assemble the frame of a couch. It is also the most expensive. This method is accomplished by putting together the joints of the frame with round pieces of wood called dowels that are put into holes along with wood glue and screws. A double doweled couch is not likely to come apart. This type of assembly is likely to last decades even if the upholstery doesn’t last making it a great choice for refinishing.
Types of Cushion Foam
Another part to a couch is the foam that is used for the cushions on the seating area and the back of the couch. There are four types of foam that are used when making couches.
- Low Density – Low density foam is soft and inexpensive. The problem with low density foam is that it will wear faster and become dimpled, flattened or lumpy, especially if it is used frequently.
- High Density – High density foam isn’t as soft as low density but it is much more durable and will last a lot longer and hold its shape longer as well. If you don’t like sinking down into the couch when you sit down, choose a high density foam couch which will provide a much firmer seat.
- Down – This is the most expensive type of cushion filling you can get. It is definitely comfortable to sit on but you will need to routinely fluff the down every two or three weeks to ensure that it does not become flattened and out of shape. Be aware that a down filled couch can be a problem for those with feather allergies.
- Hybrid – This is a combination of foam and down and gives you the best of both worlds. The down provides you with a soft place to sit and the foam helping to hold the shape of cushion together. This is popular for those who don’t like super firm seating.
What style do you want?
There are many different styles of couches on the market. Choose a style that works with the overall décor and design of your home. Many people like to mix and match but if you are looking for a more cohesive look you will want to pay attention to the style of your décor currently and choose a couch that complements or echoes that style.
- Contemporary – Contemporary styles have traditional features, clean lines and look great in more modern homes.
- Modern – Modern couches are simple in design with a lot of angles. They can also have unique designs and almost look like they are from the future. Modern designs do not have a lot of cushion and fluff and tend to be firmer, less comfortable places to sit.
- Traditional – Traditional couches can be very ornate and have tufted backs, pillowed arm rests and more. They are also a bit curvier in design as well.
Couch Back Types
Read below to learn about the different kinds of couch backs there are to choose from. This information will help you identify the different types when you look at the description and photos of the couches you are interested in.
- Tight Back – On a tight back couch, the cushions are sewn directly onto the frame and cannot be removed. The benefit to this is that you won’t have to worry about the cushions shifting around when you are trying to sit or lie down on the couch. The drawbacks to the tight back design are that they can’t be flipped over or rotated and this can cause a permanent dip in the cushion if someone sits there regularly. They are also harder to clean since the cushions can’t be removed.
- Pillow Back – Pillow back couches feature a row of removable pillows or cushions that lie along the back of the couch. They are very easy to remove and clean if necessary but if you are not diligent about regularly fluffing them, the cushions can change shape and become uncomfortable.
Types of Upholstery
There are many different kinds of fabric that is used to upholster a couch. Which type you choose is largely about personal preference but some types of fabric lend themselves to certain types of couches better than others.
- Top grain leather – This cow hide leather feels great to the touch and it is very durable but keep in mind that it can be really difficult to keep clean.
- Bonded Leather – This fabric is made up of synthetic fabrics and pieces of leather. They are blasted to give them the feel of real leather but they are not as strong or durable. This type of bonded leather is less expensive than the top grain leather which is why many people like it.
- Fabric – The majority of couches on the market are made of some kind of fabric such as cotton, polyester nylon, linen, or rayon, the durability of the fabric depends on what kind it is. Keep in mind that unless the fabric has been treated, it can stain easily and ruin the look of your couch.
The information we have put together for you in this guide will help you get up to speed on what to look for when you start researching the different couches on the market that you are interested in pursuing. Don’t forget to check the space that you will be placing the couch, and think about the important considerations including who the couch is for, where you will be putting it, and how many people you are trying to seat.
Take a look at the top ten chart and the five in depth reviews to learn about the popular couches that consumers prefer and why they are so popular. Purchasing a new couch should be fun and enjoyable not full or frustration or stress.
With all of the choices available you will be able to find a quality couch that will fit your décor and the needs you have with ease. Because couches can be so expensive, treat this purchase like the investment it is and take the time to use the information you have learned in this guide. It will ensure that you don’t waste your money and end up with a couch you don’t want any more after a week or two.