If you live with an elderly or a disabled person, you know how difficult it can be for them to do certain activities such as bathing. To ensure that they are safe and comfortable, you might want to consider looking into a walk-in tub.
A walk-in tub can provide them with the required support and stability they need when taking a shower. These tubs prevent costly accidents that might occur due to lack of balance. They usually come with grab rails, a bathing chair and other safety features that are ADA-compliant. Also, they also have a door that provides easy transfer from a wheelchair to the tub’s seat. Today there are different types of walk-in tubs which makes it hard to determine the best. However, below are some of the things you should consider before installing a walk-in bathtub for the disabled.
- Dimensions- A standard walk-in tub has a length of 60”. The width varies from 30”-32”. Most of them have a height of about 40 inches. Therefore, you should ensure that you have adequate space where you will install your walk-in tub.
- Easy to use – You do not need to buy a walk-in tub that is complex to use. It should not be too big or too small for the user. You also need to ensure that the width and height of the seat are suitable for the user. The controls should also be easy to use.
- Hot water capacity – You will require about 50 gallons of water to fill these tubs. This means that you need a large hot-water heater.
- Specific needs – You will find that walk-in tubs are made for people with different needs. If you are searching for the most affordable option, a soaker tub will be the best. You should also go for a wheelchair accessible tub if you are searching for a disabled person. Bariatric walk-in tubs are almost the same as wheelchair accessible tubs, but they are suitable for those people who weigh more than 300 lbs.
- Price – The best walk-in tubs are expensive, but you need to set a budget to avoid overspending. However, tubs are very important, and you need to go for the best irrespective of price. Also, check the features to ensure that you have bought a reliable and sturdy tub.
- Customer care – It is good to confirm if the manufacturer of the walk-in tub provides customer support to the customers. This will save you the high cost you would incur to hire a plumber. Apart from that, the company should assist clients in determining the type and size of the walk-in tub that will be appropriate for them.
- Warranty– The best tub should have a lifetime warranty. That will give you the peace of mind that you will get a refund or free repair if it doesn’t work as per the company’s stated expectations.
- Additional features –Below are some of the most important features you should check.
- Handrails – The best walk-in tubs should come with sturdy handrails. You should not have to only rely on the slippery parts or the door for stability. You can also install a handrail on your wall around the tub.
- Easy to clean –You need to be sure that the tub is clean to prevent bacteria growth. Look for a tub that is easy to clean. If possible, look for those that have a self-cleaning system.
- Floor –A walk-in tub should have a textured or a non-slip floor. Some people prefer to use non-slip mats, but they may not be suitable for some seniors and may not be easy to clean.
- Safety –Look for a tub that will allow the user to move out quickly in case of an emergency
- In-line heating – Such a system always ensures that your bathwater is warm.
The Bottom Line
Getting in the shower can be a big problem for the disabled, elderly or those who are recovering after surgery. To prevent falling while bathing, the best solution is to install a walk-in tub. These tubs provide the required balance and allow the user to access the bathtub without any problem.
We hope that this guide is useful to you when shopping for a walk-in tub. Purchasing a walk-in tub should be a long-time investment, and you should only look for the best.